Friday, October 3, 2008

Blog #3

I’ve always been under the impression that history is recorded for a reason. The reason is to remember and learn something from the past and apply it to benefit the future. In other words learn from the past and don’t make the same mistakes. For me, this week’s reading has really reinforced this impression. The feminist movements have kept repeating, but always moving forward and learning from the past.
I’ve never really paid much attention to feminists. In fact, until this year I never truly realized what feminists have done for me. The only thing I remember from high school that touched on anything related to feminism was about women who burned their bras. I never really realize how much blood, sweat, tears, burned undergarments, and time went into the rights I have today. I don’t see “feminism” anymore I see a movement. A movement that continues to fight to give me more rights.
In class a metaphor was made about social movements. These movements push till they hit a peak and then they slowly fade into the background only to repeat the process. Social movements are like a wave against the shore. The waves start as little ripples and grow bigger as they gather strength. Eventually, a huge wave will reach the shore and will wash over the shore. After all the energy has expanded it will slowly back up and repeat the process. The water is like many social movements and the people’s discontent. The shore is like the rest of society, unwilling to move or bend to anything else until overwhelmed and then it will give a little.
So far throughout history there have been three distinct social movements or waves that pertain to feminism as a social movement. The first wave occurred in the 1840’s. This movement brought to light human rights, oppression and inequality. In addition the biggest victory of the history of feminism happened during this wave. The 19th amendment occurred. The second wave happened in the 1960’s. This movement demanded birth control, pro-choice, legal rights (NOW), to name a few. The third wave occurred in the 1990’s. This time the focus is on inequalities of all types. This wave isn’t as specifically geared towards previous feminist goals, but instead humanism.
I wish that feminism, especially as a social movement, were taught more in depth in high school. I feel like I have missed out on so much important history. The lessons that might have covered these topics were few and far in between. By understanding the history of how feminism came to be, I understand how they got such a negative reputation. This weeks reading has definitely changed the way I view feminism, and social movements. I eagerly await the ending of this third wave and the beginning of the next one.

1 comment:

Lea said...

Yes, and what will that next wave potentially look like?